Miracle Home Recipe for Uncontrollably Oily Hair

How to treat oily hair

My Battle with Oil – You’re not alone!

Picture this: You’ve had a long day and can’t wait for that steaming hot shower to rise off the day’s stress. You wash that beautiful hair of yours with your undeniably awesome shampoo and you come out feeling like a million bucks. Now it’s time to finish off with a nice blow-out. After everything is said and done, you take that one last look in the mirror. Umm why is my hair oily?! When I mean oily, I mean it literally looks like you have not washed it in 2 weeks…I’m talking au naturale to the extreme. Of course, I logically assumed it was my shampoo. Excited to try a new one, I made my way to CVS to find my next favorite product. I go through the whole process again with high hopes and surprise, surprise the oil is back. For weeks I battled with my hair…high buns seemed to be my best friends. This had NEVER happened to me before, so what in the world was going on?

The culprit you ask? Birth control. After recently switching to a much lower dose pill (LoLoestrin Fe), my hair decided to join forces with the enemy. Lather, rinse, and repeat was miserably losing the war to those frenemies we like to call hormones. My body was clearly in shock from the unbalanced levels of hormones and naturally decided to react by attacking my beloved hair. Alright, alright body I’m listening to you! I quickly dialed my gynecologist and was switched to Generess Fe…a minty chewable pill. It was delicious and all but my hair was still obsessively holding on to its new BFF – oil.

So I did what we all end up doing…call mom. Being the Google Queen that she is, she found me a homemade recipe for my hair that seemed to cure the woes of the oil invasion. And guess what ladies? IT WORKS! This has been a miracle for my hair, and I could not wait to share it with you. So if you’ve ever gone through this frustrating experience thanks to our uncontrollable hormones, I have the answer you’ve been looking for!

The Miracle Recipe

The following ingredients might freak you out at first, but you have to let go of your inhibition and give it a try…I promise it works and you’ll smell minty fresh.

Preparing for Battle – the weapons:

How to battle oily hair

1. Listerine Ultraclean (I used the blue kind and have heard that the Original works as well)
2. Baking Soda
3. Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo (ah-may-zing)
4. Shower caps
5. Small bowl

The Attack:

How to treat oily hair1. Start by mixing Listerine with baking soda in a small bowl until you create a semi-thick paste.
2. Wet your hair and lather it with this magical paste (really rub the trouble spots – pretty much your whole scalp).
3. Cover the beautiful mess you have made of your hair under a shower cap…sorry girls, but glamour is out the window on this one.
4. Watch your favorite show for 30 mins while you let the potion work its magic.
5. Get in that steaming shower of yours, rinse off the paste, and wash your hair with the Sauve Clarifying Shampoo.
6. DO NOT USE CONDITIONER!

Victory Dance:

Once your hair dries, you will notice that it is about 95% back to its stunning self. Repeat this process the following day, this time using a small amount of conditioner on the ends of your hair. Your hair should be completely back to normal and looking even better than before! You can now go back to your usual hair-washing rituals using your favorite products. Time for a victory dance!

I would love to know if this worked for you guys! And know that you are NOT alone #womenuniteagaintscrazyhormones

Love always,

Mini

49 Responses to “Miracle Home Recipe for Uncontrollably Oily Hair”

1. Sarah Hackwith says:

I cannot WAIT to try this on my hair!

2. Bárbara says:

Wow! Great tip. I wanted to ask you if it leaves the hair “squeaky” (as in kind of dry) clean…

• lovealwaysmini says:

Hi Barbara! Yes, your hair won’t be as soft as usual because it does strip your hair of unnecessary oils! However, once you switch back to your preferred shampoo/conditioner your hair will be nice and soft. You will only have to deal with a few days of “squeaky” hair, not to worry!

3. Michelle says:

How much of Listerine and how much baking soda should be used when creating this paste?

Hi Michelle!

I do not have exact measurements, but you can use the Listerine bottle cap to measure out about 2-3 lid-fulls and then pour in the baking soda until you feel the solution turning into a paste. Hope that helps!

Good luck!

• Michelle says:

It does thank you. Is your hair color treated? My daughter’s hair is and I was just curious if it was color safe? I have been to every kind of doctor under the sun but no one seems to be able to help. I bought very expensive shampoo from her stylist as well and it did get rid of the flakes so at least it doesn’t have that build up that looks like paste but the oil is so extensive, her hair look like vegetable oil was put on it even after showering yesterday and I spent an hour trying to blow dry it hoping heat would help. Her hair is extremely thick as well.

• lovealwaysmini says:

At the time when I did this I did not have my hair color treated. However, I have read everywhere that Listerine is safe to use on all hair types. Also, my hairstylist recommends the baking soda aspect to anyone suffering from excessive hair oil – so I would not worry about this mixture on color treated hair.

I know exactly how frustrated you and your daughter must feel! I tried many expensive products myself but nothing worked. This is definitely worth trying! It will dry out her hair as it might take several treatments to remove the excess oil (I would not do this more than 3 times). But as I said, it’s a miracle recipe! I hope it works for your daughter as well as it did for me! 🙂

4. Nelly says:

How often do you think i can I use this on my hair ?
    For Instance, lets say I use it and my hair is now nice and dry after I go back to normal shampoo (btw what shampoo would you recommend? ) … it wont be back to being oily all over again ? If so, shouldni apply this mask again ? .. thnks !

Hi Nelly!

Sorry for the late response! I hope everything went well for you and your hair. I would recommend using the clarifying shampoo for a couple of weeks if your hair is still a bit oily. That’s what I did! Soon after, my hair went back to normal and it hasn’t happened again. Hope that helps!

5. Wilkzhie says:

Just tried it…hope it helps….Thank u so much for sharing!!

6. Allison says:

Oh my goodness…if this works you will be my HERO!!! I’ve battled this my whole life (even before birth control) so hoping this helps! It is so frustrating to wash your hair and start fixing it and it still be dirty!!

• lovealwaysmini says:

I hope it works for you Allison! I used the clarifying shampoo for about a week and it helped even more. Good luck!

• Allison says:

I am so excited to try it~! If I didn’t have two little ones asleep I would be going to store right now! I am just glad to know I’m not the only one who has problems!

• Allison says:

It’s official. You are my hero. Cleanest my hair has been in I don’t know how long. I just did it and dried and it doesn’t look dirty for once! YAYYYY!!!!!

7. Hope says:

Can I use any brand of clarifying shampoo?

8. deni says:

I’m nevious.I’m not sure if I can do this. Is it possible than it changes your haircolour?My hair is oily but I’m just too scared that it does something bad to my hair. (sorry for my english)

Hi Deni,

It shouldn’t do anything to your color. The alcohol just strips away excess oil. You can water it down too!

Hope that helps 🙂

9. andy says:

Hi, can I usea a different shampoo??

Hi Andy,

You can use whatever clarifying shampoo you like best! I do suggest you use a clarifying one, though. It will give you the best results.

Thanks!

10. Alice says:

Hey, Do you know if it has to be Listerine, or can it be any mouth wash?

I really want to try this soon!

Hi Alice!

Other mouthwashes should work fine as long as they have alcohol in it. This is what helps strip away the excess oil.

Hope that helps!

11. Kristin says:

How long will this last once I do it?
    If you do have to reapply it what’s the cut off? I.e. Don’t do more than 2x a week or it will fry your hair.

Hi Kristin,

I did it a total of 3 times in one week and have never had to do it again. I would suggest you do it a maximum of 3x in a week. Hopefully you see the same results I did!

12. Emma says:

What does the Listerine do ?

13. Rebekah says:

Does this help with dandruff? I can deal with the oil but the itchy feeling and large flakes are unbearable.

Hi Rebekah,

I’m not sure if it helps with dandruff or not. Because it does dry out your scalp, I don’t think this would help with the itchy feeling. Instead, I would try using a moisturizing treatment, like coconut oil.

Hope that helps!

14. alexa says:

Hey, I have really naturally blonde hair and I was wondering about that listerine. Could I use a different one that doesn’t have a color to it? Do you think I would get the same results? Because I’m pretty cautious when it comes to my hair.

Hi Alexa!

As long as the Listerine has alcohol in it, it will work! No matter the color.

Hope that helps!

• Kristy Entz says:

Could you use rubbing alcohol? Is there something special about the mouthwash that is better than straight alcohol? I already have alcohol, bit can get mouthwash if truly needed 🙂

15. Mary says:

Hey! I was looking for a solution for my oily hair when I found your website! I so much want to try it but I’ve a question first… Can we use any brand of moushwash? Your recipe is with Listerine but I have Signal is it still good? Thanks for your answer! Byye! 🙂

Hi Mary!

I’m glad you found my page and hope it’s the solution you’ve been looking for! If Signal has similar ingredients as Listerine, it should work. The alcohol in the Listerine is what helps to remove the excess oil from your scalp. Hope that helps.

Thanks!

16. karen says:

I just now realized that I accidentally used regular listerine, not ultra clean….do you think there’s a major difference?

17. Liza says:

Hi! I have Krogers mouth wash which says it has all the same ingredients as Listerine, except zinc chloride. I know you said alcohol is necessary but I was wondering if this should make a difference. Thanks!

18. Taylor says:

I hate to be negative, but this ruined my hair.

19. Alexis ross says:

Hi do we have to use that exact shampoo that u used

20. jessica says:

Hi Mini,

Currently watching my favorite show having the miracle recipe in my hair. How much of the Listerine lids did you use and baking soda ? Did you use a comb or did you rub it in ? How many times do you recommend doing this ? I would only be able to do this on the weekends since my weekdays are crazy in the morning. How often are you using Sauve Clarifying Shampoo ? If you are not using that product what other Shampoo are you using ?

Sorry for all of these questions. I’m just so tired of having oily hair my entire life.

Thanks so much!

21. Sophia says:

This worked for me! For three years I have tried everything! Cold showers to (not stimulate oil), lemon juice (in my shampoo), apple cider vinegar rinses, chopping my hair off and much more. Nothing, I repeat nothing had worked. Thank you so much for posting this! I only wish i would have found it sooner. I hope I can continue to take warm showers and enjoy actually doing my hair!

22. Valeria Arismendi says:

Hii! Can I use another type of Shampoo? Because in my country we don’t have Suave

23. Summer Delarosa says:

How often do you wash your hair? Did this allow you to not wash your hair for at least a day and still have your roots dry and not oily?

24. Michelle says:

Oh my goodness!! IT WORKED!! Me and my youngest daughter tried this on her sister’s hair and were so excited with the results. Her story sounded exactly like yours. We used the exact brands you listed and are so happy that you put this on Pinterest!!!

25. Shayla says:

Hey! My hair has been getting super oily lately and it’s so frustrating. I read up about the no-poo and
    low-poo methods of hair washing because many have brought up how most hair products contain sulfates to give it that shine that we all love. However, this strips the scalp of ALL oils, including the natural ones it needs. That is why I bought myself some sulfate free shampoo and conditioner. (HASK’s Keritin Protein) But alas, the oils remain. Should I use your method with the shampoo I just bought? Or do you stand by SUAVE daily claifying? Is that shampoo sulfate free? Because I don’t want to introduce sulfates again if this oil spell is just the tail ends of switching over to no-sulfates. I would love your ideas! Thanks! 🙂
    -A fellow girl strugglin’

26. Wizmo says:

Hi,

Awesome tips. Thanks for sharing these wonderful tips.

27. Amanda says:

I had been dealing with extremely oily hair for a while now and I had tried every shampoo I could find and nothing work. Last night I tried this out on my hair and it made my hair normal again!!! I am so happy!!!! I can wear my hair down again and not have a gross mess!